Thursday

Just worrying...

17 more days until Michael leaves for a 4 month training, three months later to be followed by a year long deployment. Everybody who is not military always asks me "Do you think maybe having Obama as president, that he won't have to go?" My answer is "No, what he is doing is something that probably won't change, in fact it may be needed more" He is learning to fly the latest model of the UAS (Unmanned Aerial System). They will be taking the first Models to Iraq and testing them out. It's pretty exciting because it is the first group, and the guys who are operating it were hand picked. They will be forever the pioneers of this program. The 4 month Training is where he will be learning how to operate it and other stuff that I don't understand, it all has acronyms but I dont know what they mean. Anyhow....
Michael and I do this every time he leaves.... we both start preparing mentally. I start thinking of how I'm going to handle everything alone, and almost act like he is gone. He starts getting his hobbies going so he won't be bored when he has time off. I have moments when I am angry that I have to be alone with all the kids, then moments when I am scared at the thought of being alone, like 'what if I get sick?' 'what if I have to do something that I can't sign for and the 'power of attorney' doesnt work?(it's happened) Then there are the moments when I try to think about what it is I am supposed to learn, moments when I try to convince myself that it is better when he is gone anyway, times when I think of all the fun things we are going to do, like go visit family(then remember how hard it is to do stuff like that by myself).
But the most comforting thoughts are when I think that everything in life has a purpose. There is a reason we are supposed to go through this and that it is an opportunity for us to get closer to the Savior. That as much as I dread it, that really in the eternal perspective that time is very short and it will go by fast, and there will be some other life growing experience (trial) waiting for us, and that that is why we are here in the first place. This quote taken from President Uchtdorf has given me allot of hope:

"President Gordon B. Hinckley believed in the healing power of service. After the death of his wife, he provided a great example to the Church in the way he immersed himself in work and in serving others. It is told that President Hinckley remarked to one woman who had recently lost her husband, “Work will cure your grief. Serve others.” These are profound words. As we lose ourselves in the service of others, we discover our own lives and our own happiness."

...i just hope I can remember that perpective:)

8 comments:

Jessica S. said...

I'm sorry about that. Where will his training be?
I wish you were in NC still, we could hang out and be alone together. Although you aren't happy to be alone and I am! :)

Jessica S. said...

Oh ya, and you have a great perspective on the whole thing. When Derek was gone in 2005 I was in the RS presidency and working with that got me through.

Trina said...

I'm right there with you when you mention all the emotions that you go through right before a deployment or training and during the time they are away. It's rough. Eric will be back in March from his 18 month tour to Korea. That day can't come any sooner. He'll ETS in April.

I'm sure you have a great support system that will help you make it through the deployment. Keep us posted.

BTW is Jessica s. - Jessica Skinner from when we were at Rucker? I occasional see names on blogs that I remember. Just curious.

Deidra said...

Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Thanks for posting that quote... it really touched me.

{leah} said...

I know how you feel and you put it beautifully into words.

I'm around, we should get together. Keep in mind that service is the key and you're still a good mom even if you have to lock the kids in the bedroom for a moment... at least that's what I tell myself.

Maxine Parrish said...

Your post nearly made me cry! I commend you for your faith and optimism despite the difficult times ahead, and I just know that you're the kind of person who will truly lose herself in serving others (whether it's just your kids or everyone around you).

The Allan Family said...

Thank you everyone for your thoughts ,they mean allot!
Yes Trina that is Jessica skinner.
And Im so sorry Jessica that you want to be alone, it reminds me to be grateful that I don't. Deidre, you know what its like as well and Leah, I would love to get together!
Maxine, i always love your comments!

Anonymous said...

Honestly i don't know how you do it! It shows a lot for your commitment and strength!! :)