Shanon Bryan has been in our home for 5 months now. She came to stay while Michael was in a 5 month long training in Arizona. I got a call from the state telling me this girl was a runaway. What they failed to let me know was that she was also on state probation AND house arrest. Not to mention, she had one of the strictest probation officers around. I'll admit Ms Byran took me for what I was worth.....
Here I am, just a little Mormon from Utah, Homeschooling my kids,trying to be a supportive wife to my husband in the Army. Innocent right;) I might look that way to some. What most don't know was that I grew up in Glendale (Ghetto of SLC) and that my parents liked to teach their kids to live like pioneers.
So I caught on quickly to her. Each time I have gotten a girl in my home I immediately start observing and planning what would be the best way to help them,specifically. With one girl it was to make sure she understood the world didn't revolve around her :). With one girl it was to show love unconditional. With one it was to make clear rules and clear consequences and be consistent. With one it was to feel apart of a family. With one, to know that God is good. Now, I know they all need all of those things, but some need one more than the other. With Shanon I felt kindness and gentleness. I cannot relay her life but I will say she has not seen much of that. How much fun has it been to show kindness,gentleness and motherly tenderness to someone who hasn't gotten allot of it? Most things pail in comparison to the reward.
Anyway, When she first came I had to pray quite often and ask father if he was SURE this was the right thing. I have never seen such an angry girl. But I saw the soft side too, so I held on.
The first day I saw that she could receive something and change was when we met her Probation officer. He was so mean, I had to keep my mouth from dropping in shock, I instantly liked him!!!
He wouldn't let her sit down and he brought up all the stuff she had done. I asked him,when we were alone if he minded that I allow him to be the bad guy for a while and I could be on her side. He agreed. So I told him how well I thought she was doing and acknowledged what she had been through and that I felt that she could change given the opportunity to be in an atmosphere that was safe. She came home that night and did her chore without complaint...SUCCESS!
All I can say is the last few months have been such an adventure. If anyone wants to know more just call me,plan on a good 2 hours of me talking non-stop,ask Anna, she knows:)
Shanon is like night and day. She learns quick and she has absorbed allot. I am so proud of her!
Here is a pic of her when she first came, then her and I together,then the first time she met her real Dad. Her goal is now to go and Live with him in North Carolina. It was so neat to see her meet him for the first time. She is off house arrest, and she is doing FAB!!! Isn't she cute!
New Site :)
15 years ago
1 comments:
You are a saint! I have bragged about you to several people for what you do for these girls. Thank you for caring about them! You're awesome! (By the way - I just found your blog. We miss you guys!) Go Armadillos!
Post a Comment